|Designer(s)|| Pascal Vasselon|
(Senior General Manager Chassis)
(Director Technical Coordination)
(Senior General Manager Engine)
|Chassis||Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb construction monocoque|
|Suspension (front)||Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod|
|Suspension (rear)||Carbon fibre double wishbone arrangement, with carbon fibre trackrod and pushrod|
|Engine||Toyota RVX-08 2398cc 19,000 RPM Limited|
|Transmission||Toyota/WilliamsF1/Xtrac collaboration 7-speed unit plus reverse|
BBS forged magnesium
|Notable entrants||Panasonic Toyota Racing|
|Notable drivers||11. Jarno Trulli|
12. Timo Glock
|Debut||2008 Australian Grand Prix|
The 2008 Toyota challenger the Toyota TF108 was launched on the 10th of January 2008, at team's factory in Cologne, Germany.
The 2008 season will also see Jarno Trulli retained for the 2008 season, Trulli will be joined by newcomer, but not rookie, Timo Glock as the teams second driver. The Toyota test and reserve driver for the 2008 season will be 21-year-old Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi.
New concept design
With a new longer wheelbase to aid stability and a totally new aero package that is hoped will give the car great potential. The car is not a evolution of the previous years Toyota TF107 it has been designed from an evolution of the Toyota TF106 but with a promise of "The primary aerodynamic design philosophy for the TF108 is geared towards optimising the entire package" Pascal Vasselon the teams Chassis General Manager said.
The car also has the new for 2008 higher headrests around the drivers head and also has the new standard McLaren Electronic Systems ECU that prevents the car having driver aids.
Changes in aerodynamics
Toyota have adopted a McLaren MP4-22-like bridge on the front wing, and have also moved the rear view mirrors outboard, like Ferrari and Renault. The TF108 has also had a major focus on cleaning the air flow around the front suspension, maximising the zero keel concept of the front suspension.
- At the 2008 French Grand Prix the car ran with a black stripe along the nosecone, to commemorate the life of former Toyota F1 boss, Ove Andersson, who had died earlier that month.
- At the 2008 British Grand Prix, the car ran with a special Batman livery. The team signed a deal with Warner Brothers to promote the new film, The Dark Knight, which was released on July 25.
Timo Glock was fastest in testing at Jerez on the 17th of January, whilst test driver Kamui Kobayashi was 7th fastest on the same day.
Toyota and Ferrari have been the only teams in 2008 to test outside the common test tracks in Spain (Valencia, Jerez and the Circuit de Catalunya), having chosen to test in sunnier conditions in Bahrain from the 4th to the 6th February and 9th until the 11th of February 2008.
Later in the month of February, Toyota, alongside Ferrari, returned to the Circuit de Catalunya to finish off their preparations for the season opener in Melbourne. Toyota rolled out a new aero package, with Pascal Vasselon saying that "The new aerodynamics package we brought here is a clear step forward". The very next day, Jarno Trulli completed the day with a time of 1.20.801, fastest overall, Red Bull-Renault driver David Coulthard was second with a time of 01:21.258 on the same day.
Complete Formula One results
(key) (results in bold indicate pole position)
|2008||Toyota F1||Toyota V8||B||AUS||MAL||BHR||ESP||TUR||MON||CAN||FRA||GBR||GER||HUN||EUR||BEL||ITA||SIN||JPN||CHN||BRA||56||5th|
- "Toyota reveals TF108 in Cologne". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/10/toyota-reveals-tf108-in-cologne/.
- "Kobayashi expects to learn a lot". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/11/kobayashi-expects-to-learn-a-lot/.
- "Ralf Schumacher joins DTM series in 2008". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/02/18/ralf-schumacher-joins-dtm-series-in-2008/.
- "Longer wheelbase, new aero concept for latest Toyota". Formula1.com. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7246.html.
- "A brand new bridge wing for Toyota". f1technical.net. http://www.f1technical.net/development/119.
- "TF108 follows trend to move mirrors outboard". f1technical.net. http://www.f1technical.net/development/118.
- "Toyota focus on aerodynamics in suspension". f1technical.net. http://www.f1technical.net/development/117.
- "Toyota brings Batman to Silversone". ITV-F1. 01/07/2008. http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=43173.
- "Jerez day three - Glock masters the TF108". Formula1.com. http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2008/1/7268.html.
- "Only Ferrari and Toyota will travel to Bahrain". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/22/only-ferrari-and-toyota-will-travel-to-bahrain/.
- "Toyota happy with new aero package". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/02/26/toyota-happy-with-new-aero-package/.
- "Trulli fastest on final day of pre-season testing". f1technical.net. http://www.f1technical.net/news/8351.