Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, Inc. (TMMK) is an automobile manufacturing factory in Georgetown, Kentucky, USA. It is part of Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America (TEMA), owned by Toyota Motor Company of Japan.
Originally known as Toyota Motor Manufacturing USA, TMMK was established in 1986 and is Toyota's largest manufacturing facility outside of Japan. It began production in the fall of 1988, building the 1989 model 4-cylinder Camry. In the beginning, the engines were shipped from Japan, however, an on-site engine plant was added in 1990. It presently builds the Avalon, Camry, and Camry Solara coupe and convertible. The factory also produces 4-cylinder and V6 engines and powertrain parts with an annual capacity of 500,000 vehicles and 500,000 engines.
In addition to TMMK, Toyota added Camry production at Subaru of Indiana Automotive, Inc. in 2007 to keep up with demand for the new Camry and increase production capacity of the Camry Hybrid. In fall 2008, production of the 2009 Venza crossover will be added.
Harbour Consulting rated it as the eighth most efficient auto plant in North America in 2006.
TMMK was designated as a "zero landfill facility" in 2005. The designation means that all of the waste produced on-site is either recycled or reused and nothing is sent to landfills. One of the big changes came when the facility switched from plastic cups and trays to all paper products. All of the waste is composted, totalling three tons per day with excess capacity — enough that the manufacturing headquarters of TEMA, about an hour's drive to the north in Erlanger, Kentucky, can send their waste down for compost.
The grounds also sports a very large vegetable garden. In 2005, the produce produced at TMMK helped a nearby charitable organization, God's Pantry, distribute 2.5 million pounds (1100 t) of produce, exceeding its yearly goal by 2 million pounds (930 t). The garden also produces a full crop of pumpkins used at the Toyota Child Development Center for carving at Halloween, and corn which enhances the compost pile.
- Toyota Camry (1988-present) and Toyota Camry Hybrid (2006-present)
- Toyota Avalon (1995-present)
- Toyota Sienna (1998-2003)
- Toyota Camry Solara (coupe from 2004-2008, convertible from 2004-present)
- Toyota Venza (2009-present)
- Toyota 3S-FE 2.0L I4 (1988-1991) for Camry
- Toyota 5S-FE 2.2L I4 (1992-2001) for Camry
- Toyota 2AZ-FE 2.4L I4 (2002-present) for Camry and Camry Solara
- Toyota 2AZ-FXE 2.4L I4/Electric Hybrid (2006-present) for Camry Hybrid
- Toyota 1AR-FE, 2AR-FE 2.7 and 2.5 I4 (beginning in 2009)
- Toyota 3VZ-FE 3.0L V6 (1992-1994) for Camry
- Toyota 1MZ-FE 3.0L V6 (1994-2004) for Camry, Avalon, and Sienna (made elsewhere but shipped in for 2004-2006)
- Toyota 3MZ-FE 3.3L V6 (2004-2006) for 2004-2006 Camry SE and Camry Solara (made elsewhere but shipped in 2006-2008 for Camry Solara)
- Toyota 2GR-FE 3.5L V6 (2006-present) for Camry, Avalon, and Venza