|Body style(s)||2+2 coupe|
|Engine(s)||3.5L V6 hybrid electric|
|Wheelbase||104.33 in (2650 mm)|
|Length||170.27 in (4325 mm)|
|Width||73.23 in (1860 mm)|
|Height||50.79 in (1290 mm)|
The Toyota FT-HS is a hybrid sports car concept introduced at the 2007 North American International Auto Show. Calty Design Research designed the concept and suggests that it could fill the place of the Toyota Supra. FT-HS stands for Future Toyota Hybrid Sport.
The goal of the rear wheel drive hybrid powertrain is to produce 400 hp (300 kW) and achieve 0-60 mph in around 4 seconds. This is accomplished by combining a 3.5 L V6 and an electric motor in a manner similar to the Lexus GS450h. Unlike the GS (and virtually all other current hybrids), a production version of the FT-HS would make use of a capacitor system designed specifically for quick charging and increased performance. Since the debut of this concept, Toyota has exhibited such technology in the Supra HV-R race car.
In spite of the FT-HS being only a concept vehicle, Toyota's desired starting price for such a vehicle is stated to be in the mid $30,000 range.
According to Automobile Magazine, Toyota is planning to launch a production version of the vehicle in 2009. Toyota has yet to make an official announcement. An August 2008 article from Autmotive News indicated that a production version was no longer being considered. However, a January 2009 article from Edmunds Inside Line states that "the V6 Supra replacement is still in the pipeline and is set for an early 2011 debut".
- "Toyota hasn't had a sports car since the Supra was dropped in 1997. We need some emotional punch in our lineup, a halo product." Kevin Hunter - vice president of Calty Design Research (from this article)
- Toyota FT-HS World Premiere ROADandTRACK.com accessed January 3 2007
- Straightline - Detroit Auto Show: Toyota FT-HS, the responsible supercar accessed January 8 2007
- Toyota Wins First Race With a Hybrid
- It's only a concept car for the Detroit auto show, but it might become the next Supra edmunds.com Inside Line accessed on December 27, 2006
- Toyota FT-HS Concept is a Go For 2009 Automobile Magazine accessed on May 29, 2007
- Fuel costs shift Toyota product plans autobloggreen accessed on Nov 21, 2008
- Peter Lyon (2009-1-16). "Moving Forward: Nissan GT-R Sedan, SUV and Lexus LF-A Still in the Works". Edmunds.com. http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=139967. Retrieved on 2009-1-18. "News out of Toyota City also reveals that the V6 Supra replacement is still in the pipeline and is set for an early 2011 debut."
- Toyota press release on the FT-HS
- Car and Driver report on the Toyota FT-HS
- Motor Trend report on the Toyota FT-HS
- Road and Track report on the Toyota FT-HS
- AutoWeek report on the Toyota FT-HS
- Detroit Auto Show video of the Toyota FT-HS
- autobloggreen Fuel costs shift Toyota product plans