Toyota Camry Hybrid
|Assembly||Georgetown, Kentucky, United States|
Toyota City, Japan
Altona, Victoria, Australia
|Body style(s)||4-door sedan|
|Engine(s)||2.4 L I4 2AZ-FXE Atkinson cycle gasoline engine|
|Transmission(s)||Continuously variable transmission|
|Wheelbase||109.3 in (2776 mm)|
|Length||189.2 in (4806 mm)|
|Width||71.7 in (1821 mm)|
|Height||57.5 in (1461 mm)|
|Fuel capacity||65.1 L (17.2 U.S. gallons)|
Toyota Camry Solara
The Toyota Camry Hybrid is a hybrid version of the Camry sedan. The Toyota Camry Hybrid was introduced in May 2006 and has estimated U.S. sales of 60,000 per year, or 15 percent of total Camry sales.
The Camry Hybrid was voted 2007 Car of the Year in the Family Sedan (over $30k) category by the Automobile Journalists Association of Canada (AJAC).
The Toyota Camry Hybrid utilizes a four-cylinder gasoline engine with 108 kW (147 hp) and 187 Nm (138 ft·lbf) and 650V electric motors with a NiMH 245V traction battery with a maximum output of 29 kW (40 hp) to produce a peak of 140 kW (187 hp).
EPA fuel economy estimates for the 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid are 40 MPG (City) and 38 MPG (Highway). EPA’s revised method of estimating fuel economy for 2008 and subsequent model years, which now considers the effects of air conditioning, rapid acceleration and cold temperatures, estimates 33 MPG (City) and 34 MPG (Highway).
- Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management [VDIM]
- Climate Control (HVAC) system which can function when ICE (internal combustion engine) is off.
- Coefficient of aerodynamic drag (Cd) reducing wheel spats and underbody pans (Cd for Camry Hybrid is 0.27)
The hybrid model has a special chrome-lined grille, as opposed to the color-coded ones on every other Camry trim. Other special features include "HYBRID" emblems on front fenders and an "HSD" (Hybrid Synergy Drive) emblem on the rear decklid. Furthermore, the white reverse lights on the rear of the hybrid model are boomerang-shaped, while the ones on other trims are straight.
Introduction and death of lead engineer
The lead engineer responsible for the development of the hybrid model died of ischaemic heart disease in January 2006 at the age of 45; his daughter found him dead the day before he was scheduled to fly to the United States for the new model's introduction. In July 2008 the Aichi Labor Bureau ruled his death was due to overwork (karōshi). He had worked over 160 hours of overtime in the two months prior to his death.
Toyota Motor Corporation Australia has confirmed that it will build the Toyota Camry Hybrid for the Australian market after months of lobbying the Australian government for incentives to produce the next generation Hybrid. It will be built at Toyota's Altona production facility in Victoria. The Australian government will give a subsidy of $35m for its production. It could also expect to build the next generation Toyota Camry Hybrid in 2011 for the Asian market.
For U.S. purchasers, a U.S. tax credit of $2,600 was available for purchases prior to September 30, 2006. Taxpayers could claim 50 percent of the credit, $1,300, between October 1, 2006 and March 31, 2007 and 25 percent of the credit, $650, for the fourth and fifth calendar quarters (April to September 2007). No credit is allowed after the fifth quarter.
Residents in Ontario and Quebec, Canada can claim a rebate on the Provincial Retail Sales Tax of up to $2000 CDN on the purchase or lease of a hybrid vehicle, and Federal Transport Canada can claim a rebate of $1500 CDN.
Use in HOV and carpool lanes
Because it does not achieve an EPA estimate of 45 mpg, the Camry hybrid does not meet the requirements to drive in California carpool lanes with only one passenger. Virginia qualified Camry hybrids for HOV exemption, but they must be specially tagged by June 30, 2006 to be eligible for I-95 & I-395 exemption. Exemption for I-66 and Dulles Toll Road HOV usage continues even for registrations beyond June 30.
As of July 29, 2005 Arizona Revised Statutes from the 47th session Chapters 28-2416 and 28-737 allow hybrid vehicles that have been approved by the EPA as meeting, at a minimum, the United States environmental protection agency ultralow emission vehicle standard with a $8.00 special plates/hybrid sticker that is displayed on said vehicle to use the High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes regardless of the number of passengers. Arizona has not instituted this policy as it is awaiting clarification of the federal Hybrid HOV waiver from the EPA. On January 16, 2006 SB 1179 was introduced that would reaffirm the HOV benefit, pending federal clearance.
Upgrades for the Toyota Camry Hybrid are similar to those of other hybrid vehicles which include extra batteries, chargers and solar panels.
Other available upgrades are aftermarket body kits which include side skirts and front/rear bumpers. The camry hybrid also comes with a rear spoiler, but it can be replaced with an aftermarket one as well
Since the camry hybrid has such an integrated engine with both gas and electric components, unfortunately the engine upgrades on the vehicle are limited.
50th Anniversary Edition
To commemorate 50 years of Toyota sales in the United States (Toyota Motor Sales began operating on October 31, 1957), Toyota built a special edition 2007 Camry Hybrid. The 50th Anniversary Edition is limited to 3,000 units, and features unique wheels and badging. It comes only in Blizzard Pearl and has a base price of $31,680.
- www.hybridcars.com overview of Toyota Camry Hybrid, accessed 29 July 2006
- "2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid Review". JB car pages. http://www.jbcarpages.com/toyota/camry/2008/specs2/. Retrieved on 2008-06-19.
- EPA 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid
- 2007 Toyota Camry brochure p12, Toyota Canada, accessed February 14 2007
- 2007 Toyota Camry brochure p19, Toyota Canada, accessed February 14 2007
- finds Japanese man died from overwork, a July 2008 Associated Press article via CNN
- Toyota to build hybrid Camry in Australia
- $35m for Toyota hybrid
- Toyota plans locally built hybrid - drive.com.au
- Toyota to build Camry Hybrid in Thailand
- IRS Tax Credit Information, IRS, accessed 29 July 2006
- Tax credits for some hybrid cars halved, USA Today, Update as of July 21 2006
- Vehicles Powered by Alternative Fuels, Government of Ontario, accessed as of June 2 2008
- QST rebate for hybrid vehicles, Government of Quebec, accessed as of August 21 2008
- 2008 Model Year ecoAUTO Eligibility, Transport Canada, accessed as of June 22008
- 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid - 50th Anniversary Edition
- ^ "2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid Specs". theautochannel. January 22 2006. http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2006/01/09/207013.html.