|Manufacturer||Indonesia: Astra Daihatsu |
Malaysia: Perodua Manufacturing Sdn. Bhd
|Also called||Daihatsu Xenia|
|Predecessor||Toyota Kijang / Unser (Same vehicle)|
|Body style(s)||5-door MPV|
1.0 L I3 VVT-i 
1.3 L I4 VVT-i
1.5 L I4 VVT-i
|Transmission(s)||Manual and Automatic|
|Wheelbase||2655 mm (104.5 in)|
|Length||4120 mm (162.2 in) |
|Width||1630 mm (64.2 in)|
|Height||1695 mm (66.7 in)|
|Curb weight||1130 kg (2491 lb)|
|Fuel capacity||45 litres (11.9 US gal; 9.9 imp gal)|
The Toyota Avanza is an Indonesian designed mini MPV produced in Indonesia and also assembled in Malaysia, with supervision from Toyota, who also sell the car under their Daihatsu brand. The car was launched at the Gaikindo Auto Expo in 2003 and sold over 100,000 units that year. The name "Avanza" was taken from the Italian word avanzato, which means "advance".
The Avanza is a new model develop as low premier MPV to split Toyota Kijang/Toyota Unser to 2 different models, another new model is the Toyota Innova which is higher spec and aimed at a higher market.
1st Generation (2003 - Present)
The model is a five-door MPV with a FR layout. It features a 1.3-litre gasoline engine with a maximum output of 67 kW (92 PS) at 6000 rpm, and a 1.5-litre gasoline engine that produces 80 kW (109 PS) at 6000 rpm.
A special version of the Avanza was launched in late 2004 using a more powerful VVT-i unit. The special edition was also equipped with an automatic transmission. Only 200 units of the Avanza special edition were made.
The Avanza was restyled near the end of the third quarter of 2006 with a new grille, new bumpers, a new interior, and new front and rear lamps. The 2006 model New Avanza S also has a new engine, a 1.5-litre 16-valve DOHC VVT-i gasoline engine (similar to the Toyota Rush) along with the new ABS braking system.
In Malaysia, the Avanza is available as a 1.5G in automatic transmission, and 1.3E in both automatic and manual transmission.
In the Philippines, the Avanza is offered since 2006 with 2 trim levels, a 'J' line with a 1.3 engine, and having no power windows and locks, and only available with a manual transmission. while the 'G' line has a 1.5 engine, power features mated to a 5-speed Manual transmission or a 4-speed Automatic transmission. In 2008, the Avanza line was being revamped, which added a J line is available without the 3rd row seat, which was popular among taxi fleets. Avanzas are also used as metered taxicabs in the Philippines; although it is often mistaken as an end-to-end passenger vehicle, like its Tamaraw FX (Kijang) and Revo ancestors.
The Avanza was updated in 2008 with a new ceiling with grooves to improve airflow to the rear and a new interior colour scheme.
The Avanza's twin model is the Daihatsu Xenia, the only Daihatsu to use two engines - the 1.3-litre EFI similar to the Avanza's, and a three-cylinder 1.0-litre with power and torque rating at 63 PS (62 hp/46 kW) at 5600 rpm and 92 N·m (68 lb·ft) at 3600 rpm. 
In China, Daihatsu together with First Automobile Works (FAW) launch the Xenia on 21 June 2007. Production in China will be carried out at FAW Jilin Auto. The Daihatsu Xenia is using 1.3 and 1.5-litre EFI similar to the Avanza's.
Currently Daihatsu Xenia sold in Indonesia and China.
- 15" wheels (On 1.5 models)
- 14" wheels (On 1.3 models)
- 13" wheels (On 1.0 models)
- 4-speaker audio system with radio and CD playback
- 50:50 folding 2nd row seats
- 100:0 folding 3rd row seats
- MacPherson Strut Suspension
- Electronically controlled side mirrors
- All windows equipped with power windows
- Warning lights on information meters for various safety and engine systems
- Air-conditioning with rear blower
- Global Outstanding Assessment (GOA) body
- Seat Belts
- Alarm system with engine immobliser, siren, cabin sensors, and auto door locks
- Foglamps and high-mount stop light
- Reverse sensors
Existing on 1.5 Only
- Chromed Front Grille, door handles, backdoor garnish, shift bang
- Anti Brake Locking System (ABS) 
- Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
- 4-spoke Urethane Steering Wheels
Aerokit package (Available for 1.3 and 1.5)
- Front and rear bumper spoiler
- Side Skirting
- Muffler cutter
- Muffler cutter
- Center Console box
- Daihatsu Xenia VVT-i Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "xenia" defined multiple times with different content
- Daihatsu & Toyota Announce Dual-model Debut for Indonesia
- Daihatsu Xenia VVT-i, More Elegant, More Luxury, and More Powerful
- Toyota gives the Toyota Avanza another facelift
- Howstuffworks article on ABS